House and EV being charged by the Tonik Logo

It’s full charge ahead into a greener, cleaner future!

Sep 5, 2018



Our new electric vehicle tariff is now available for those who want to power their home and their cars with 100% renewable electricity.

Here at Tonik HQ, we are really excited to announce that we’re launching our EV tariff – Charge EV, today! We’ve taken the blue print of our greenest available tariff (we’re talking 100% renewable electricity, 10% green gas and the remaining 90% gas is carbon offset) and included the benefits of our other tariffs such as no exit fees and 3% interest on account credits. On top of that, we’ve built in some really cool benefits – we’ll give you 1200 miles every year you’re on the tariff, £40 off one of our eoMINI chargers, and for the first 250 people to sign up to the tariff, we’re giving away a pair of tickets to Fully Charged Live 2019. You can find out more about these benefits, by looking through our FAQs on the Charge EV page.

1200 miles free illustration.

Chris Russell, our MD explains, “We wanted to create something for those early adopters who are championing the EV revolution. We’re giving people the option to power their EVs with 100% renewable electricity to reduce their carbon footprint even further. We also wanted to incentivise our members to make these greener choices, which is why we’ve chosen these particular benefits – the 1200 miles will appear as a credit on their account, but not just as a one off for signing up, we’ll give that every year that they are on Charge EV. The £40 discount off the eoMINI – this is the smallest fast charger on the market! By providing the energy and the charger, we’re making it as easy as possible to charge your EV at home. And finally, the pair of tickets to Fully Charged Live 2019, for all three days – this is the UK’s electric vehicle and renewable energy event of the year! We went to the inaugural event this year and were positively awestruck – you can read all about it in our blog.”

Illustration of tickets to the fully charged event.

We’ve also made Charge EV a variable tariff; we wanted to offer all our EV tariff members to enjoy the same benefits, so it made sense that they all paid the same price. That way, our members can enjoy all the great things being part of our community brings, for as long as they like. We like to reward people for being with us - that's being part of Team Tonik!

With the increase in demand for EVs across the nation, we are determined to help put the right practices and infrastructure in place to support this evolution. In 2017 the UK government Vehicle Licensing Statistics reported that Ultra Low Emission Vehicles (ULEV) registration was up a record 27%; that’s a staggering 53,203 new ULEVs being registered in 2017 alone. So we know that people are not just engaging with the bigger environmental picture, they are actively looking to be part of it. Charge EV is just one of the many ways Tonik is helping to make the UK a more green and sustainable country to be proud of.

Illustration to show EVs are cheaper to run than petrol cars.

What’s more, in December 2017 the University of Leeds found that EVs are now cheaper to own and run than petrol or diesel cars[1]; making EVs more appealing to more people. In fact, we worked out that having an EV could save people nearly £400 a year in “fuel” costs[2]!

We’re committed to increasing the uptake of renewable energy in the UK, and we want our members to be part of a cleaner, greener future sooner. But to be able to do this, we need to make these greener choices as accessible and affordable as possible…to everyone. We want to reward those people who are currently driving EVs, by offering them additional benefits like miles credits, discounted EV chargers and event tickets; but we also want to make driving electric cars as easy as possible, so more people do it! By creating an EV specific tariff we are giving people the option to have clean energy for their home and their car. We're building a community of like-minded people.

You can sign up to Charge EV here.

[1] https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/dec/01/electric-cars-already-cheaper-to-own-and-run-than-petrol-or-diesel-study

[2] Please see the FAQs for Charge EV “How much will it cost me to charge my electric vehicle (EV)?” https://www.tonikenergy.com/help/#ev-tariff

 

Trustpilot