Illustration of the cycle of using a REGO

Tonik fuel mix

Oct 8, 2018 - 2min read

All of our tariffs include 100% renewable electricity, but we’re often asked about how it is generated. This year we’re pleased to report that from 1st April 2017 – 31st March 2018, our electricity came from two sources: 68% was generated from wind and 32% from solar.

Pie chart of Tonik's fuel mix

Our energy is backed and guaranteed through Renewable Energy Guarantee of Origin (REGO) certificates with Ofgem. So for every unit of electricity that our members use, we buy REGOs to ensure that a unit of electricity from 100% renewable sources, has been generated and fed back into the grid to replace it.

Illustration of how REGOs work

This is in stark contrast to the national average, where only 29.04% of electricity is renewably generated. The remaining 70.96% of non-renewably generated electricity results in an environmental impact of 225g of CO2 emissions and 0.007g of high level radioactive waste per kWh produced. But because renewable electricity avoids fossil fuels and nuclear power, it is carbon neutral and produces no radioactive waste whatsoever.

Table of Tonik's fuel mix and C02 emission compared to national average

The average UK household uses 3100kWh a year, which equates to 697kg of carbon dioxide and 21.7g of radioactive waste.

To put that in perspective, a 697kg reduction in carbon dioxide emissions is equivalent to driving 7,567km in an Audi A1*. To put that into further perspective, you could drive from Birmingham to Beirut and back again!

Illustration of car driving from Birmingham to Beirut and back.

So by choosing Tonik, you are consciously choosing to support green energy and make a positive change for the environment.

Reduce your environmental impact today by switching to Tonik!

Carbon dioxide emissions calculated using average carbon dioxide emissions per kWh (Source: Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. Fuel Mix Disclosure 2018) and average electricity usage (Source: Ofgem Typical Domestic Consumption Values).

*Based on an Audi A1 1.6 TDI Sport (Source: Audi: Audi models by CO2 Emissions, published 2014) travelling average annual mileage (Source: Department for Transport. National Travel Survey 2016, published July 2017).

More related blogs

Ask a question?