Graph of Tonik's fuel mix.

Our fuel mix

Nov 10, 2017 - 2min read



All of our members know our electricity is 100% renewable, but we’re often asked where that renewable electricity comes from and how it is generated. Here’s the straightforward answer.

Tonik Pie Chart


This is guaranteed through our filing of Renewable Energy Guarantee of Origin (REGO) certificates from Ofgem. The REGOs provide a record of each time our members have used a unit of electricity from the grid, which we have then replaced by buying (and pumping back into the grid) a unit of electricity generated from renewable sources. So, at the end of the year, we have a clear breakdown of where our renewable electricity has come from.

Tonik's fuel mix


The solar part of the equation is self-explanatory, but the remaining 43% can be unpicked further. Anaerobic digestion involves a series of processes through which organic matter is broken down by microbes to produce biogas, which in turn is used to generate renewable electricity. And the energy we buy from such sources comes from either landfill gas or piggery waste.

Fuel mix compared to average

 

We stand in stark contrast to the national average, where only 24% of electricity is renewably generated. The remaining 76% of non-renewably generated electricity results in an environmental impact of 254g of CO2 emissions and 0.00147g of high level radioactive waste per kWh produced.

Meanwhile, as well as being 100% renewably generated, Tonik’s electricity is carbon neutral and results in no radioactive waste whatsoever. By switching to Tonik you will use 787kg less carbon dioxide and 4g less radioactive waste than the average UK household, based on the average annual electricity consumption of 3100kWh/year.

To put that in perspective, a 787kg reduction in carbon dioxide emissions is equivalent to taking an Audi A1 off the road for 8 months.

So by choosing Tonik, you are consciously choosing to support green energy and make a positive change for the environment.

Reduce your environmental impact today by switching to Tonik!

Carbon dioxide emissions calculated using average carbon dioxide emissions per kWh (Source: Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. Fuel Mix Disclosure 2017) and average electricity usage (Source: Ofgem Typical Domestic Consumption Values).
*Based on an Audi A1 1.6 TDI Sport (Source: Audi: Audi models by CO2 Emissions, published 2014)
travelling average annual mileage (Source: Department for Transport. National Travel Survey 2016, published July 2017).

Trustpilot