Illustration of people celebrating a birthday

Tonik at Three!

Aug 16, 2019 - 3min read



We’ve come a long, long way since our first member switched to 100% renewable electricity back in 2016. That member was our CEO, Chris Russell - and since then he has been joined by more than 115,000 eco-conscious households signing up for clean energy, cleaner air and a cleaner planet. 

Over the last three years, we have grown from our humble beginnings into a company with over 200 employees and our own in-house renewable technology installation experts, The Phoenix Works. Split between offices at our Birmingham headquarters and our renewable tech base Leeds, we take tremendous pride in having assembled a staff of leading industry experts and passionate member services agents who all care deeply about building a brighter energy future for us all.

Collage of renewable energy tech

Our team have dedicated themselves to making Tonik a leading light of the UK’s clean energy industry, achieving a number of firsts that have seen us spearheading the renewable revolution:

  • In 2019, we became the first UK energy company to offer the market-leading Tesla Powerwall home battery storage.
  • We’re the first energy company to offer a Smart Checker service, enabling our members to check whether we can communicate with their existing SMETS1 smart meters. 
  • We launched a tariff exclusively tailored to Electric Vehicle (EV) drivers, launched our Tonik EV Charging app, and have continued installing EV chargers up and down the country - combined with The Phoenix Works, our running total is now 4,000 sockets!

The hard work is paying off; in 2018 we won awards for Customer Service Recognition at the British Renewable Energy Awards, and Best Place to Work at the Startups Awards - a resounding endorsement of our belief that happy employees lead to happy members, borne out by our excellent 5-star rating on Trustpilot

The most rewarding pay-off is on a much grander scale, however, as we supply our ever-increasing number of members with 100% renewable electricity (made up of 68% wind power and 32% solar energy) while encouraging as many as possible to sign up to our greenest tariffs which also come with 10% green gas and 90% carbon offset. 

With Tonik’s 115,000 members choosing to power their home with 100% renewable electricity, they each prevent an average of 698kg of CO2 from entering the atmosphere every year - meaning together we’ll be stopping 80,270 tonnes of carbon emissions from entering the UK’s air in 2019. To give you a sense of scale, that’s almost half the amount of CO2 that Hampshire’s New Forest1 removes from the air each year - which is great news in light of the Committee for Climate Change’s urgent recommendation that 30,000 hectares of trees be planted yearly to absorb carbon emissions.

Illustration of the New Forest, half made up of people and half made up of trees.

 Many of our members also choose to use 10% green gas (sustainably produced from anaerobic digestion… or less politely put, rotting farm waste and animal poo) and offset the remaining 90% by opting in to the scheme we support in Kenya’s Kasigau Corridor - a truly inspirational project focused not just on reforestation, but helping communities in the area make longer term, sustainable steps towards greener, cleaner business, education, and health practices. While we’re very much believers in a renewable-powered electric future, the majority of UK homes will continue to rely on gas for some time. However, our members who have made the smart choice to use green and offset gas from Tonik should be proud of the impact it has on their carbon footprint - a whopping average reduction of 2,460kg of CO2 a year!

We love supplying renewable energy because it makes it easy for people to make the right choices that make a real difference. So while we’ve done everything we can to enable people to make the switch to affordable green energy, it’s our members themselves who are making the world a better place - by choosing cleaner power over dirty fossil fuels, and making more switched-on choices about their energy. 

As Tonik turns three years old, we want to celebrate by saying a big thank you to all 115,000 of our members who have made the right choice so far, who have helped grow us into one of the most innovative energy suppliers around, and who are making the world a cleaner, greener place for us all. 

We’re so proud of how far we’ve come together. Let’s go even further.

 

1. One acre of forest clears 2.6 tonnes of carbon from the air each year, so 80,270 tonnes of CO2  is equivalent to 30,873 acres of forest, and the New Forest is covered with 66719 acres of trees.

Upgrade to our greenest tariff today!

Click Here

Related content

Trustpilot