Tonik Fuel Mix
Oct 8, 2019 - 3min read
All Tonik electricity tariffs are 100% renewable as standard, but we’re often asked about how it is generated. This year we’re pleased to report that from 1st April 2018 to 31st March 2019, our electricity came from two renewable sources: 9% was generated from wind and 91% from solar.
Our electricity is backed and guaranteed through Renewable Energy Guarantee of Origin (REGO) certificates with Ofgem. So for every unit of electricity that our members use, we back it with a REGO certificate to ensure that a unit of electricity from 100% renewable sources has been generated and fed back into the grid to replace it.
This is in stark contrast to the national average, where only 33% of electricity is renewably generated. The remaining 67% of non-renewably generated electricity results in an environmental impact of 208g of CO2 emissions and 0.007g of high-level radioactive waste per kWh produced. Because renewable electricity avoids fossil fuels and nuclear power, it is carbon neutral and produces no radioactive waste whatsoever.
The average UK household uses 3100kWh a year, which equates to 645kg of carbon dioxide and 21.7g of radioactive waste. By choosing renewable electricity from Tonik, you are consciously choosing to instead support green energy and make a positive change for the environment.
How green an energy supplier is Tonik?
We supply renewable electricity for homes across the UK – but that’s just one piece of a much wider future energy puzzle. We also have an in-house team of technology experts, The Phoenix Works, who can install solar panels (to help you make your own energy), batteries (to help you store it for later when you need it), and EV chargers (so you can power your car with green electricity) – all part of our country’s transition to zero-carbon power and cleaner air for all.
Carbon dioxide emissions calculated using average carbon dioxide emissions per kWh (Source: Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. Fuel Mix Disclosure 2019 and average electricity usage (Source: Ofgem Typical Domestic Consumption Values).
Keen to go green? Get a quote and sign up to renewable energy with Tonik today!Get a quote
Read more related blogs
Tonik at Three!
We’ve come a long, long way since our first member switched to 100% renewable electricity back in 2016. That member was our CEO, Chris Russell - and since then he has been joined by more than 115,000 eco-conscious households...
Our Carbon Offset Scheme: The Kasigau Corridor Project
Tonik Energy is serious about making a difference - not just in your home, but farther afield, too...
The Tonik ecosystem: technology that makes a difference
It’s lovely when everything - and everyone - works together for the greater good. That’s why, when choosing the products that make up our Tonik ecosystem, we really put our heads together to find the technologies and services that would work in total harmony...