Nov 19, 2019 - 2min read
Tonik are proud to be supporting the British Lung Foundation for the second year running and to be part of their Living Well Alliance, which aims to bring companies together who all have a common goal in mind: helping us all breathe easier.
The problem is real, and it belongs to us all
Not only have 1 in 5 people in the UK developed asthma, COPD or another long-term lung condition, but it is estimated that between 28,000 and 36,000 deaths a year are the result of air pollution exposure every year in the UK. Reducing the amount of pollutants in the air we breathe would save the UK population about 1.6 million life years over the next 106 years: equivalent to an increase of life expectancy at birth of eight days each.1
Together we can help
The need to reduce pollution caused by the burning of fossil fuels to generate energy is widely known. By being with Tonik you are using electricity from renewable sources which does not require that burning to take place; ultimately meaning that less carbon is emitted into the air. As a dual fuel member, you also have the option to reduce your carbon footprint even further by opting for 10% green gas and offsetting the remaining 90%. And that’s just the beginning, with our ecosystem of products you can generate, store and improve the energy efficiency of your home: making the environment we all share a cleaner, greener and more sustainable place to live.
The British Lung Foundation
The BLF are the only UK charity looking after the nation’s lungs, making sure that one day everyone breathes clean air with healthy lungs. Their aim is not only to improve care for those living with lung diseases but to prevent and cure the cause through investment in research.
“We’re really proud to be Living Well Alliance members, joining forces with BLF and the other organisations who are all playing their part to improve the lives of people with lung conditions, whilst collaborating on ways to raise awareness of the issue and potential solutions. Improving air quality is close to our hearts. With our HQ being in central Birmingham, it means we’re well aware of the issues of poor air quality. This is why we want to support the Living Well Alliance to take steps to improve air quality around the UK for the environment and people’s health, now and in the future” Jacob Windsor, Partnerships Manager.
Andy Jackson, corporate manager at the British Lung Foundation said: “We’re so pleased that Tonik will be supporting us for a second year running as part of our Living Well Alliance and are looking forward to working with them on activities that will promote cleaner air and help people remain warm in winter.”
“The Living Well Alliance brings together companies who offer treatments, devices or products that support people to manage their lung conditions. It’s thanks to everyone who donates to the British Lung Foundation, including our fantastic corporate partners, that we’re able to invest in much needed research, and give hope, help and a voice to people with lung disease across the UK.”
Being with Tonik you are part of the solution. Renewable energy is key to tackling air pollution and it’s available today, so why wait until 2050?
We talk a lot about the ways you can reduce your impact on the environment, but cleaner air is one of those things that isn’t just about saving the environment, it’s also about your health.